Changes to the Canadian Experience class

On April 18, 2012, in Immigration Programs, News, by Mihaela Mindicanu

The Minister Jason Kenney proposed a new change to the immigration system, one that everyone will love. The Canadian Experience Class is an immigration program destined for foreign students who graduated in Canada  and for temporary workers who have at least 24 months of experience obtained within the last 36 months in Canada.  The proposed change refers to foreign workers, who will be eligible for permanent residence after only 12 months of legally obtained experience.

Expediting the permanent residence process for foreign workers is beneficial for the Canadian economy and the candidates, as it motivates intelligent, skilled and talented persons to establish themselves in Canada.

The details weren’t published yet, but here are the main requirements for the work experience:

  • The job has to be full-time (at least 37.5 hours per week). Part time experience is also accepted but it will take longer to accumulate the necessary number of hours.
  • The occupation has to be at a managerial, professional, technical or skilled level
  • The candidate must have worked on a valid work permit
  • The candidate must have respected the Canadian laws
  • If the candidate returned to his home country, he must apply for the program within one year of leaving his job in Canada.
  • Experience obtained in the province of Quebec is accepted, however the province of destination cannot be Quebec

8 Responses to “Changes to the Canadian Experience class”

  1. SAM says:


    To the requirement “The candidate must have respected the Canadian laws”, if someone has committed a traffic offence/violation, does it disqualifies him from accepted for PR application?

    Please suggest..

    many thanks,

  2. Josemaria says:

    I would like to know if this change to the law is going to be approved soon?

  3. Syed Rafiq says:

    I would like to know if work experience as a co-op student (more than 37.5 hours, engineering in nature) will count towards the 12 month requirement.
    Thank you

    • Yes, however your work experience must still be classified as NOC 0, A or B under the National Occupational Classification system. The requirement in force is still of 24 months, the change to 12 months has not been approved yet.

  4. Alex says:

    Hi, any updates on this?
    Is it still expected that this visa will take 15 months to process?

Leave a Reply

Visit our web site Visit our web site